Alaska Concealed Handgun Permit (ACHP)
This 12-hour class integrates the basic mindset, tactical principles, and skills trained in Tactical Application Pistol: Level One with the legal education and proficiency evaluations required by the Alaska Administrative Code for applicants for the ACHP. It includes discussions of Alaska Law, Handgun Selection, and an introduction to every day carry (EDC) options for those new to the world of concealed carry. The ACHP is honored in 38 states, and is NICS exempt for firearms purchases.
You must be at least 21 years old to take this class.
NEW: Saturday, April 3 2021 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Location for both classroom and range will be at Higher Ground Bible Camp in Sterling)
- Saturday, June 12 2021 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Location: see below)
- Saturday, September 25 2021 8 a.m – 8 p.m. (Location: see below)
- Classroom: Ammo-Can Coffee 35559 Kenai Spur Hwy, Soldotna, AK
- Range: SnowShoe Gun Club 40450 Shotgun Dr. Kenai, AK
*All CFTT classes at SnowShoe Gun Club are now open to members of the public. Non-members of the Gun Club attending a course hosted by SGC will pay a $75 range use fee, which can be credited toward a same-year membership. Special thanks to the SnowShoe Gun Club board of directors, for providing us with this exciting expanded opportunity to serve the community.
For more information about the Kenai Peninsula’s premier shooting venue and membership, visit: Snowshoegunclub.com
What to bring:
- Functional semi-automatic pistol, preferably full-size or compact pistol, with at least three magazines.
*Revolvers and subcompact pistols are permitted, but not recommended for this course. Revolvers will come with at least 3 speed loaders or speed strips, in pouches of some kind.
*MINIMUM CALIBER: 380 AUTO
*NO rimfire. (22 long rifle, 22 magnum, etc.)
- Kydex (rigid synthetic) or leather holster with full trigger guard coverage, made for your firearm.
*NO: Shoulder, cross-draw, small of the back, or ankle holsters.
- Magazine pouch.
*For more information on holsters and magazine pouches, see our video, “Holsters and Mag Pouches”
- Eye protection
- Ear protection (electronic preferred; mandatory if you are hard of hearing)
- Brimmed hat or baseball cap (to keep brass from getting behind eye protection)
- Sunscreen/bug dope/layered clothing appropriate for Alaskan weather
- Long pants with pockets
- Closed toe shoes/boots
- Folding camp chair (recommended)
- Plenty of water, snacks, etc.
- Hand wipes/sanitizer
- Packed lunch
- Estimated Ammo Count: 250 rounds, FMJ or frangible recommended
*Reloaded ammo may be fired at the operator’s own risk.
*Conventional lead core or frangible bullets only.
*ABSOLUTELY NO: armor piercing, incendiary, tracers, green tip, etc. These rounds can damage or ricochet off our AR500 targets, potentially causing injury.
Alaska Adminstrative Code requires ACHP applicants to successfully pass a written examination on course material. Part of this examination will be writing out the Four Firearms Safety Rules from memory. Please watch our video “Four Firearms Safety Rules” and commit the rules to memory prior to showing up for class.
In order to take this class, you must be a citizen of the United States, not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm or ammunition, and at least 21 years of age.