Alaska Concealed Handgun Permit (ACHP)
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we will be adapting our class format to allow greater personal space between individuals. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us.
This 12-hour class integrates the basic mindset, tactical principles, and skills trained in Tactical Application Pistol: Level One with the legal education and proficiency evaluations required by the Alaska Administrative Code for applicants for the ACHP. It includes discussions of Alaska Law, Handgun Selection, and an introduction to every day carry (EDC) options for those new to the world of concealed carry. The ACHP is honored in 38 states, and is NICS exempt for firearms purchases.
You must be at least 21 years old to take this class.
We will meet at 9:00 AM at Ammo-Can Coffee in Soldotna for the morning classroom portion of the course. After lunch, we will move to SnowShoe Gun Club’s Pistol Bay 11 for the range portion of the class.
Classroom: Ammo-Can Coffee 35559 Kenai Spur Hwy, Soldotna, AK
Range: SnowShoe Gun Club 40450 Shotgun Dr. Kenai, AK
All classes held at SnowShoe Gun Club are exclusively for SGC members. For more information about the Kenai Peninsula’s premier shooting venue and membership, visit: Snowshoegunclub.com
What to bring:
- Payment ($35 check, credit card or cash) if you plan on getting fingerprints/photos done by VIP
- Functional semi-automatic pistol, preferably full-size or compact pistol, with at least three magazines.
*Revolvers and subcompact pistols are permitted, but not recommended for this course. Revolvers will come with at least 3 speed loaders or speed strips, in pouches of some kind.
*MINIMUM CALIBER: 380 AUTO
*NO rimfire. (22 long rifle, 22 magnum, etc.)
- Kydex (rigid synthetic) or leather holster with full trigger guard coverage, made for your firearm.
*NO: Shoulder, cross-draw, small of the back, or ankle holsters.
- Magazine pouch.
*For more information on holsters and magazine pouches, see our video, “Holsters and Mag Pouches”
- Eye protection
- Ear protection (electronic preferred; mandatory if you are hard of hearing)
- Brimmed hat or baseball cap (to keep brass from getting behind eye protection)
- Sunscreen/bug dope/layered clothing appropriate for Alaskan weather
- Long pants with pockets
- Closed toe shoes/boots
- Folding camp chair (recommended)
- Plenty of water, snacks, etc.
- Hand wipes/sanitizer
- Packed lunch
- Estimated Ammo Count: 350 rounds, FMJ or frangible recommended
*Reloaded ammo may be fired at the operator’s own risk.
*Conventional lead core or frangible bullets only.
*ABSOLUTELY NO: armor piercing, incendiary, tracers, green tip, etc. These rounds can damage or ricochet off our AR500 targets, potentially causing injury.
Alaska Adminstrative Code requires ACHP applicants to successfully pass a written examination on course material. Part of this examination will be writing out the Four Firearms Safety Rules from memory. Please watch our video “Four Firearms Safety Rules” and commit the rules to memory prior to showing up for class.
In order to take this class, you must be a citizen of the United States, not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm or ammunition, and at least 21 years of age.